Benefits of Summer Camps
Okay, parents! It is almost that time again when countless children prepare for fun times at day camps for kids and overnight summer camps in Calgary. The benefits of summer camps extend far beyond the mandatory tee shirt. Lessons learned and valuable experiences can be carried with them throughout life.
Benefits of Summer Camps
- Calgary summer camps help nurture social skills. Camps for kids offer a safe haven away from home and school. It is a separate community where children learn to work together and with new mentors while building important relationships, and dealing directly with conflicts.
- Camps for kid promote a healthy lifestyle. Calgary summer camps 2017 provide so many physical activities and other projects for kids—they remain busy. In addition, the current trend is to serve more nutritious food options as opposed to traditional camp fare. At many camps for kids, you are likely to find more fruits and vegetable choices. Some Calgary summer camps even have gardening and cooking activities that teach children how to grow and prepare healthy meals.
- Summer enrichment helps curb learning loss. Research has proven that kids tend to lose up to two months’ knowledge learned in math, reading, and spelling over the summer break. To avoid the dreaded summer slide, specialized summer Calgary summer camps offer tracks in the arts, reading, writing and STEM opportunities. STEM is the abbreviation for science, technology, engineering, and math. This type of educational camp setting is designed to make learning interactive and fun.
- Kids experience new activities. Summer camps offer many new activities that foster a sense of achievement and builds leaders. Kids may get the opportunity try horseback riding, fencing, whitewater rafting, working on a farm—the possibilities are endless. One of the greatest benefits of summer camps is getting to experience something you may have never got the chance to do otherwise in an encouraging environment.
- Camps for kids boost self-confidence. Most children walk away from a good camp experience feeling a lot more self-confidence with a strong sense of pride and self-reliance. A study by Philliber Research Associates reported that 70 percent of parents stated their child had a higher level of self-esteem while spending time at summer camp.
- It is valuable time away from electronic devices. Calgary summer camps help kids unwind and unplug. They have pulled away from the digital world and forced to redirect, slow down, and focus on more valuable experiences like spiritual growth, making new friends, exploring the outdoors and trying new things.Kids are often reintroduced to nature and the simple pleasure of being outside every day. Also, some of the biggest benefits of summer camps are the opportunity to connect with and meet new people (in person) from different regions, and various walks of life, especially if your child attends overnight summer camps in Calgary.
- Camp activities encourage personal growth. Besides learning how to swim, getting to sleep in a cabin and learn new songs at the bonfire, kids develop leadership, citizenship, and other valuable personal development skills that will serve them well at home, in the classroom, in relationships and the workplace.